Top 10 Tips to keep your pets happy during the firework season.
1. Provide a safe place your pet can retreat to if they wish such as a den or hiding place, this can be a crate, carrier, cardboard box or towel over a chair. Encourage your pet to use and make positive association with the den by putting treats in it.
2. Take your dog for a walk before dusk so that they are relaxed and will not need to go out to the toilet once the fireworks start.
3. Ensure your cat is safely indoors before dusk. Shut all window, doors and cat flaps, this will stop your pets escaping and also muffle the sound of the fireworks.
4. Ensure your pet has been micro-chipped and the details are up to date. Should your pet escape in a panic on fireworks night then a microchip could help ensure you are reunited.
5. Playing music or turning up the volume on the television can help to minimise the impact of sound, also drawing the curtains can stop your pet from being startled by flashing lights.
6. Do not punish your dog for showing fearful behaviours. If they are frightened they it is OK to comfort them, punishing them only makes them more distressed.
7. If your pet lives outside (rabbits/Guinea Pigs/birds) ensure their cage/aviary is safe and as soundproof as possible. Consider bringing pets inside if possible or offer an extra bedding for your pets to burrow into.
8. Even if your cat does not use a litter tray make sure that one is available at this time of year, especially if you are keeping them indoors.
9. Try not to react to the sounds yourself especially if your pet has reacted to the loud noises in the past. Help to form a positive association with fireworks by playing a game or doing some training with them.
10. At dusk ensure that your dog is safe indoors, do not leave your dog home alone if you know fireworks are expected.